Saturday, July 5, 2008

Kabul Embarkation: Take 4

Although it marked the end of my Junication (or June vacation), the day started off well; I was informed my seating assignment for LAX-JFK leg (flight # 2 out of 4 to Kabul) was “Economy Plus.” Well, I now type disgruntled from row 26, which should be more accurately advertised for it’s flavorful whiffs from the bathroom which my ‘economy plus’ seat sits precariously close to.

The past three weeks in the US of A have been good, and a whirlwind. My friends Jen and Aaron had a beautiful wedding overlooking the coast just north of Santa Barbara;

(Photo: My mother and me at the wedding)

Aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings, and grandparents alike convened to celebrate graduations, birthdays, and anniversaries in Northern California. Days later we celebrated my mother’s birthday in style back in Santa Barbara with Wii tennis matches which left me sore for days.

(Photo: My father and me sitting in the Stanford bleachers for Paul's graduation!)

More family flew down from Seattle to part with the rain and connect with great aunts and uncles in town from North Carolina, and I added a trip to Colorado to visit more family as well as my roommate from college, Liz (who just got married…CONGRATULATIONS!).

(Photo: My cousin Becca and me in Estes Park, CO)

The days were full, but good. It was good to be reminded of the love I come from, and how so many people have influenced who I am.

I think I successfully transitioned into vacation-mode, just soon enough for my Kabul return to be quickly approaching. Regardless, I look forward to returning and continuing this season of work. My guess is I’ll be overwhelmed with work over the next few weeks, but things always settle after a while. I left Kabul with Spring defending it’s territory over Summer, but will now likely return to a much hotter Kabul. I’ve been notified that my office is moving to the rooftop (in the same room, ironically, that I lived for part of last year) so I’m guessing the heat will provide a daily combative challenge.

1 comment:

Joshua Grace said...

happy belated junication!