Friday, August 1, 2008

Snapshots of Kabul Life

Painting in Kabul should be considered a sport. Foresight is thrown out the window, preparations are completely neglected, and only the strongest survive. The plan to renovate what was once a bedroom (with pink walls and golden-laced curtains, in true Afghan style) into the main office for the HIV Project started with high hopes. We would tape off corners and light switches; we would cover all furniture with plastic; this would be (in my mind) order and a success! The rumors of the paint escapade started to fly, and soon the room was full of visitors (who soon became paint advisers). The brushes were tossed from hand to hand and expressions of "opinion" were only made with bold stokes on the wall. A bit shell-shocked, I watch the whole thing unfold...and by the end, I joined the crowd...painting over bugs, light switches, and anything that crossed my path.
Surprisingly, though, the outcome was quite a success. "Slate blue" was the chosen color, and we've now been requested to organize similar renovations across the compound.
The photo below is of Dr. Sibghatullah, my colleague, and I glowing with success.


I've had the great fortune of meeting up with current University of Richmond students (where I went for undergrad) who live and are from Afghanistan. The picture below is with Muska and her younger sister at their house in Kabul. It was a lovely afternoon and their hospitality (in true Afghan style) was overwhelming. Their uncle was visiting from Australia (where he has lived for the past 25+ years), and it was fascinating getting his perspective on the changes Afghanistan has seen during these past decades. While driving me back to my office he remarked that when he left Kabul burqas were seldom if ever seen in Kabul, yet now a majority of women in Kabul wear these head-to-toe coverings.


I couldn't exactly tell you what I'm doing in this photo...but just in the slightest chance you think my time is spent only on important matters, clearly it isn't.

No comments: